|Q. What biblical basis exists for being ‘slain in the spirit' ('going out under the power')? Some ministers lay hands on people and they fall to the ground?|
examination of the FEW times in Scripture (see table) in which this
phenomenon occurred, indicate:
1) It was not a sought-after experience. (Today many go forward after a meeting for the very purpose of being slain; the altar call is often even presented as such.)
2) It was not a common experience. (Today many stand in line – expecting to fall.) It occurred only rarely, i.e, when an individual saw the glory of God.
3) No human administered/imparted it. (It was not received during a "laying on of hands" session by anyone!)
4) The individual FELL ON HIS FACE – not fell backwards. (There were no "catchers"!)
5) The experience occurred when the person was ALONE with God – not in front of a group of people.
6) When they were "down" (or "out"), they received either visions of the last days, prophecies, or SAW GOD God face to face.
|Genesis 15:12 "...A
DEEP SLEEP FELL upon Abram... And God said to Abram..."
Genesis 17:1, 3 "The Lord appeared to Abraham... and Abraham FELL ON HIS FACE, and God talked with him..."
2 Chronicles 5:13, 14 "... then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; so that the priests COULD NOT STAND to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God."
Daniel 8:17 "And it came about when I, Daniel, had seen the vision... I heard the voice... So he came near... I was frightened and FELL ON MY FACE... Now while he was talking with me, I sank into a deep sleep with MY FACE TO THE GROUND..."
Daniel 10:8, 9 "So I was left ALONE and saw this great vision; yet no strength was left in me, for my natural color turned to a deathly pallor, and I retained no strength. But I heard the sound of his words; and... I fell into a deep sleep ON MY FACE, with MY FACE TO THE GROUND."
Ezekiel 1:28 "...the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I FELL FACEDOWN, and I heard the voice of one speaking."
Ezekiel 3:22, 23 "The hand of the Lord was upon me there, and he said to me, '...I will speak to you.' ...And the glory of the Lord was standing there..., and I FELL FACEDOWN."
Ezekiel 43:1-7, esp. 3 "...behold, the glory of the God of Israel... His voice... and the earth shone with his glory... like the vision which I saw by the river Chebar; and I FELL ON MY FACE..."
Ezekiel 44:4, 5 "...behold, the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord, and I FELL ON MY FACE. And the Lord said to me..."
Revelation 1:17 "When I saw him, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS THOUGH DEAD.... [Note: This is probably the source of the phrase 'slain in the spirit.']